Sunday 18 September 2022

No servant can be the slave of two masters

Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord
And let light perpetual shine upon her.


Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 18th September 2022


Gospel Luke 16: 1–13 (part)


Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Those who can be trusted in little things can be trusted in great; those who are dishonest in little things will be dishonest in great. If then you cannot be trusted with money, that tainted thing, who will trust you with genuine riches? And if you cannot be trusted with what is not yours, who will give you what is your very own?

‘No servant can be the slave of two masters: they will either hate the first and love the second, or treat the first with respect and the second with scorn. You cannot be the slave both of God and of money.’




Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I come to this time of prayer, I ask for God’s blessing. I may use my own words, or perhaps I pray, ‘Lord, I ask your blessing on my wounds and my distractions ... your blessing to help me become more deeply present to you in my prayer  me, and more aware of you through this day.’
Once I have slowed down enough to allow God to speak to me, I read this challenging text slowly (whether this short extract or the full version).

I take time to allow my faith to be nurtured through this contact with scripture and the teaching of Jesus.
As I read the passage again, perhaps I ponder what wise, prudent use of money and material possessions means in my own life.
What is my relationship with money?
Where is my attachment to it and where is my freedom?
I ask for the grace to deepen my self-awareness, and the personal freedom to make wise choices in the great and little things of my own life.
I speak with Jesus about whatever feelings and insights arise.

I pray to wake up to the genuine riches that Christ is offering me today. Perhaps the courage to see my community, my church more clearly ...? or the humility to depend on and love God even more...?
or the generosity to share all of my gifts more freely...?
Or maybe there are other genuine riches the Lord desires to share with me. I reflect on whatever comes to my awareness.

I may end with a time of quiet contemplation, simply resting in the silent mystery of the Creator. I try to listen with tranquil attention ... yielding to God’s action and presence.
When ready, I slowly end my prayer, glorifying God.

Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...