Sunday 4 December 2022

Prepare a way for the Lord

 Second Sunday of Advent, Year A - 4th December 2022


Gospel Matthew 3: 1–11 (abridged)

In due course John the Baptist appeared; he preached in the wilderness of Judaea and this was his message: ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is close at hand.’ This was the man the prophet Isaiah spoke of when he said: 'A voice cries in the wilderness: Prepare a way for the Lord, make his paths straight.’

This man John wore a garment made of camel-hair with a leather belt round his waist and his food was locusts and wild honey.

Then Jerusalem and all Judaea and the whole Jordan district made their way to him, and as they were baptised by him in the River Jordan they confessed their sins. But when he saw a number of Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism he said to them, ‘Brood of vipers, who warned you to fly from the retribution that is coming? But if you repent, produce the appropriate fruit, and do not presume to tell yourselves, “We have Abraham for our father,” because, I tell you, God can raise children for Abraham from these stones. Even now the axe is laid to the roots of the trees, so that any tree which fails to produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown on the fire.

I baptise you in water for repentance, but the one who follows me is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to carry his sandals; he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire.’

The axe is laid to the roots of the trees


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I prepare to celebrate the Lord’s coming, I am grateful to find a few moments to spend with him. Wherever I am, I acknowledge his presence, and tell him about my mood and why I feel the need to be with him today.

After spending some time coming to inner quiet, I read the text several times to become really familiar with it so I can put it aside.

What are you going to show me today, Lord?

I may want to imagine myself by the River Jordan, with John the Baptist’s followers. I look at him, listen to him, and reflect.

John calls me to repentance – that is to a radical change of path. In what ways do I need to change within myself, in my dealings with my family, my colleagues, my community?

Perhaps I find myself among the Pharisees and Sadducees. How do I feel when John addresses us? Maybe I see in myself some of the complacency John objects to. I ponder ... and then tell the Lord what is in my heart.

He knows, he understands. I listen to him.

As I wait for the coming of the One who follows John, I look ahead. What can I tell him of my desire to be of service to others, to help bring about a better world?

When I am ready, I close my prayer with my own words of thanks.

Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's readings from the Jesuit Post.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...