Sunday 11 December 2022

Gaudete - Rejoice!

Third Sunday of Advent, ‘Gaudete’ Sunday, Year A - 11th December 2022



Gospel Matthew 11: 2–11


John in his prison had heard what Christ was doing and he sent his disciples to ask him, ‘Are you the one who is come, or have we got to wait for someone else?’ Jesus answered, ‘Go back and tell John what you hear and see; the blind see again, and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised to life and the Good News is proclaimed to the poor; and happy is the one who does not lose faith in me.’

As the messengers were leaving, Jesus began to talk to the people about John: ‘What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swaying in the breeze? No? Then what did you go out to see? Someone wearing fine clothes? Oh no, those who wear fine clothes are to be found in palaces. Then what did you go out for? To see a prophet? Yes, I tell you, and much more than a prophet: he is the one of whom scripture says: Look, I am going to send my messenger before you; he will prepare your way before you.

I tell you solemnly, of all the children born of women, a greater than John the Baptist has never been seen; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he is.’


Today is Gaudete (Rejoice!) Sunday, sometimes called Rose Sunday


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


It may help me to prepare to pray by focusing on some image that speaks to me of Advent: perhaps an Advent wreath, or a candle. Or I may like to find an Advent carol or some other music that brings me a spirit of watching ... of longing ... of waiting ... of light shining in darkness.

I take time to settle my mind and body in whichever way suits me best. I gently notice any distractions that come to mind, and with compassion place them before God and guide my attention back to my prayer focus.

I wait ... in silence ... and in stillness.

When I feel ready, I slowly read the Gospel as many times as I need. I may like to use my imagination to enter into the scene.

Maybe I am a disciple of John who has been sent to meet Jesus?
Or perhaps I see events unfolding as a bystander, and listen to Jesus as he teaches the people.
Where does this meeting take place?

What do I see, and what do I notice about the followers of John and the people who have come to hear Jesus? What are they seeking?
What am I seeking?
How do I feel as I listen to Jesus’s response to the disciples?
The prophets, the psalmist, and the actions and words of Jesus are all teaching and preparing me ... but for what?

I share with Jesus my thoughts and feelings about all that has arisen for me during my time of prayer, as I would to a dear friend ... and I listen to him. When I am ready, I close my prayer with my own words of gratitude.


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...