Friday 4 September 2020

Where two or three meet in my name...

 Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A - 6th September 2020 


Gospel Matthew 18: 15–20


Jesus said to his disciples: ‘If your brother does something wrong, go and have it out with him alone, between your two selves. If he listens to you, you have won back your brother. If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you: the evidence of two or three witnesses is required to sustain any charge. But if he refuses to listen to these, report it to the community, and if he refuses to listen to the community, treat him like a pagan or a tax collector.

‘I tell you solemnly, whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.

‘I tell you solemnly once again, if two of you on earth agree to ask anything at all, it will be granted to you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three meet in my name, I shall be there with them.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I prepare for my time of prayer with the Lord, I become aware of what lies in my heart and mind today. I pray for God’s gift of inner attention to him alone. I surrender myself to the power of the Holy Spirit through this prayer time and beyond, into my day.

Knowing there is no need to rush, I read the Gospel slowly, receptively. Perhaps I imagine Jesus is speaking to me personally.

I pay attention ... relishing and drinking in the words I am hearing.

I ask God to guide my heart, allowing his words to resonate within my being. I am silent, receptive ...

Reading the passage again, I notice what stirs within me.

Do I have a sense of being part of a Christian community ...?

... a sense of belonging to Christ when I pray with and for others ...?

Or maybe it has been difficult at this time to feel a sense of belonging to church? I take care not to judge.

I speak from the depth of my experience to the God who speaks to me. In expectant stilness I listen for God, noticing how my heart or body are responding.

Perhaps God is inviting me to help with the work of building community in some way ...  whether in church or elsewhere? I ask for any grace I need.

In time, I end my prayer slowly, praying for the gift of a deepening sense of belonging to the Body of Christ. Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...