Sunday 8 January 2023

This is my Son, the Beloved

 The Baptism of the Lord, Year A - 8th January 2023


Gospel Matthew 3: 13–17

Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptised by John. John tried to dissuade him. ‘It is I who need baptism from you,’ he said, ‘and yet you come to me!’ But Jesus replied, ‘Leave it like this for the time being; it is fitting that we should, in this way, do all that righteousness demands.’ At this, John gave in to him.

As soon as Jesus was baptised he came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. And a voice spoke from heaven, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on him.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I come to my place of prayer, I pause to remember that God is with me. I slow my breathing to help me prepare to pray, dwelling for a moment on God’s life-giving presence within my heart, mind and body.

As the season of Christmas comes to a close, I may like to reflect on how I have celebrated the birth of Christ and contemplate what the incarnation of the Word of God as a tiny, vulnerable child means to me.

I talk with the Lord about this before I begin to pray with the Gospel. When I am ready, I move on.

In this short passage, we move quickly to the adulthood of Jesus and are drawn immediately into the action of the scene .

I read the text prayerfully and use my imagination to see the scene unfold. What do John and Jesus look like? What do I notice about their relationship when they meet on the banks of the river? John recognises the spiritual authority of Jesus and asks Jesus to baptise him.

But Jesus does not seem interested in human power relationships and seeks baptism for himself.

As Jesus is baptised, God declares his love for his Son and this love is energised by God’s Holy Spirit descending on Jesus.

Am I able to let God speak those same words to me: ‘you (my name) are my beloved child’?

What does this stir in me? How do I want to respond to that love?

I speak to the Lord with thanks and ask for a deeper understanding of God‘s call to me.

I finish my prayer with a slow sign of the cross.



Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on the Epiphany from the Jesuit Post


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...