Sunday 1 January 2023

Mary treasured all these things in her heart

 Mary, Holy Mother of God, 1 January 2023


Gospel: Luke 2: 15–20


Now when the angels had gone from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, ‘Let us go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened which the Lord has made known to us’. So they hurried away and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. When they saw the child they repeated what they had been told about him, and everyone who heard it was astonished at what the shepherds had to say.

As for Mary, she treasured all these things and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds went back glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen; it was exactly as they had been told.



Gospel Reflection from Prego (St Beuno's Outreach)


By now I may have a little more time to sit quietly and contemplate the scripture passage the Church has chosen for me on this first day of the New Year.

Slowly, I take a few deep breaths, come to quiet and read the text above.

Who or what draws my attention?

Maybe it is Mary, the one who has been so actively involved in the story and yet from whom we have not heard a word.

I consider her situation silently for a while, perhaps bringing to mind all the events which have led to her bringing the baby Jesus to birth.

In time, I may feel moved to speak with her:

‘How are you feeling at the moment Mary?

Was your labour difficult?

How did you feel when you first heard the baby cry?’

I listen to her. What does she tell me she treasures?

I reflect on what it means to me today to experience these events through her eyes, and thank God for the birth of every child.

With you, Mary, I ponder in my heart the fate of all those who, like you, have been marginalised, not accepted by society: the homeless, the refugee, the mentally ill, the elderly, those suffering with dementia. I pray that they will encounter the Lord coming towards them in disguise: in food bank volunteers, refuge charity workers, care givers ...

Before I go, I thank you, Mary, mother of my God. You are indeed ‘blessed among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus’.


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute homily from the Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...