Sunday 25 December 2022

News of great joy

 ⭐️The Nativity of the Lord, 25 December 2022 ⭐️


Gospel Luke 2: 8–14

In the countryside close by there were shepherds who lived in the fields and took it in turns to watch their flocks during the night. The angel of the Lord appeared to them and the glory of the Lord shone round them. They were terrified, but the angel said, ‘Do not be afraid. Listen, I bring you news of great joy, a joy to be shared by the whole people. Today in the town of David a saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. And here is a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly with the angel was a great throng of the heavenly host, praising God and singing:

‘Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace to all who enjoy his favour’.


Adoration of the Shepherds, Domenico Ghirlandaio


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I come to spend some quiet time with the Lord. Maybe I have the luxury of a candle and a crib to help me visualise the events of that special night.

Or maybe I rely on my imagination and my memories of previous years.

I read the text above, perhaps several times, before putting it aside.

I may find myself being present in the scene, next to the shepherds.

I look around, what do I see?

I smell the grass, the sheep. I feel the roughness of the shepherd’s staff. I hear the shuffling of animals, the barking of dogs.

Then suddenly, I see the angel of the Lord and the light changing in the sky. How do I react? Am I fearful, like the shepherds, or amazed, or ..?

I hear the angel’s comforting words, news of peace and joy.

As I pause for a moment to take this all in, the singing starts. What is it like? Perhaps it’s a tune I know well, or one I’ve never heard before.

I focus again on the angel’s words: a baby, in a manger, a Saviour, Christ the Lord. Could it be that God has chosen to come to earth in disguise, where we least expect him?

Can he really have come in such simple surroundings, as a helpless baby, he who is so Almighty?

In what way is this a joyful event? I ponder...

Eventually, I come back to the here and now, still carrying all these events in my heart, thankful that I was there, with the shepherds and the angel, perhaps better able now to share this great joy with all around me.

Glory to God in the highest ...’


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily for Christmas from the Jesuit Post

⭐️🎄Wishing you a joyful, peaceful and blessed Christmas!🎄⭐️

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...