Saturday 26 September 2020

Which of the two did the father’s will?

Twenty-sixth Sunday of Ordinary Time Year A - 27th September 2020

Gospel Matthew 21: 28–32



Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people:

‘What is your opinion? A man had two children. He went and said to the first, “My child, you go and work in the vineyard today.” He answered, “I will not go”, but afterwards thought better of it and went. The man then went and said the same thing to the second who answered, “Certainly, sir”, but did not go. Which of the two did the father’s will?’ ‘The first’, they said. Jesus said to them, ‘I tell you solemnly, tax collectors and prostitutes are making their way into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you, a pattern of true righteousness, but you did not believe him, and yet the tax collectors and prostitutes did. Even after seeing that, you refused to think better of it and believe in him.’



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach



I take a few slow breaths, then breathe normally. When I am ready, I prayerfully read this week’s Gospel.

I try to visualise the characters in this scene: the chief priests ...  the elders ...  Jesus himself. In my imagination, I see their clothes, I hear their voices. What is the atmosphere like?

I focus on the story of the two siblings. Maybe I feel drawn to bring the story into this century, imagining modern parents and their children. What would be the setting? Does it throw a different light on the situation?

Perhaps I see myself as one of the siblings. Which one am I drawn to be?
It could be that at some time in my life I have been like one child ... then like the other. I ponder.

Jesus contrasts two very different categories of people hoping to enter his Kingdom: the religious authorities and the tax collectors and prostitutes. I look at the people around me. How readily do I put them into categories, where I decide which ones are making their way into the Kingdom of God, and which are not?

In the same way, have I ever felt that others have judged me wrongly? I speak to the Lord about what is in my heart.

When I am ready, I slowly bring the strands of my prayer together and thank the Lord for being with me.



Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily!




No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...