Saturday 3 October 2020

The stone rejected by the builders

 Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A - 4th October 2020

Here's another reminder to sign up for An Autumn Day With Mary - click on the page heading above for details.
And while you're there, have a look at our new page I Or We? An Examen to learn a new way of finding God in the everyday.


Gospel Matthew 21: 33–43

Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people, ‘Listen to another parable. There was a man, a landowner, who planted a vineyard; he fenced it round, dug a winepress in it and built a tower; then he leased it to tenants and went abroad. When vintage time drew near he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his produce. But the tenants seized his servants, thrashed one, killed another and stoned a third. Next he sent some more servants, this time a larger number, and they dealt with them in the same way. Finally he sent his son to them. “They will respect my son” he said. But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, “This is the heir. Come on, let us kill him and take over his inheritance.” So they seized him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?’

They answered, ‘He will bring those wretches to a wretched end and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will deliver the produce to him when the season arrives.’ Jesus said to them, ‘Have you never read in the scriptures: It was the stone rejected by the builders that became the keystone. This was the Lord’s doing and it is wonderful to see? ‘I tell you, then, that the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit.’


The stone rejected by the builders

Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I begin my reflection on this parable of Jesus by placing myself in his presence. Even now, he is doing wonderful things for me.

Then I read the scripture, slowly, constantly asking Jesus to help me hear and see what he wants to show me.

I may be drawn to the goodness of the landowner, perhaps leading me to reflect on the times I have experienced the goodness of God in my life. What is my sense of gratitude as I reflect?

Perhaps I am drawn to the person of Jesus, speaking of himself as the son of the landowner. He comes in love to offer the vineyard to me.

How do I feel towards him as I hear him speak?

Do I feel I am a trustworthy recipient of his gifts?

The Lord of the vineyard is the master of creation – I might end by committing myself afresh to the invitation to work in the portion of the Lord’s vineyard that has been entrusted to me – my family, relationships, neighbourhood, community ...

Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...