Saturday 10 October 2020

Come to the wedding

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year - A 11th October 2020


Gospel Matthew 22: 1–14 (shorter version)


Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a feast for his son’s wedding. He sent his servants to call those who had been invited, but they would not come. Next he sent some more servants, ‘Tell those who have been invited,’ he said, ‘that I have my banquet all prepared, my oxen and fattened cattle have been slaughtered, everything is ready. Come to the wedding.’ But they were not interested: one went off to his farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his servants, maltreated them and killed them. The king was furious. He despatched his troops, destroyed those murderers and burnt their town. Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready; but as those who were invited proved to be unworthy, go to the crossroads in the town and invite everyone you can find to the wedding.’ So these servants went out on to the roads and collected together everyone they could find, bad and good alike; and the wedding hall was filled with guests.” 




Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle to prayer, I take the time to relax my body and gently breathe in the goodness and love of God.

When I am ready, I ask the Lord to reveal his word for me in this parable. I read it slowly a couple of  times.

Jesus is in Jerusalem, frustrated by the attitude of the leaders of the people. But he is still calling them into relationship with him, to a joyful feast united with so many others.

How does this speak to me in my life?

I pause so that I can hear Jesus speaking to me.

If I feel challenged and hesitate to respond, what reasons do I give myself? Perhaps resenting the messenger ... or not wanting to be involved with others ...?

I give thanks to the Lord for calling me continuously, for the grace of belonging to a community, for the gift of the Eucharist ...

I may pray for greater acceptance, unity and harmony in various parts of the world.

I end my prayer in gratitude with a ‘Glory be...’


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily!


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...