Sunday 11 September 2022

 Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time,  Year C - 11th September 2022


Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord
And let light perpetual shine upon her.








Today's Gospel 

Luke 15: 1–32 (part)

The tax collectors and the sinners, meanwhile, were all seeking Jesus’s company to hear what he had to say, and the Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’, they said, ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’ So he spoke this parable to them:

‘Who among you with a hundred sheep, losing one, would not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the missing one till he found it? And when he found it, would he not joyfully take it on his shoulders and then, when he got home, call together his friends and neighbours? “Rejoice with me,” he would say, “I have found my sheep that was lost.” In the same way, I tell you, there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner than over ninety-nine virtuous men who have no need of repentance.

‘Or again, what woman with ten drachmas would not, if she lost one, light a lamp and sweep out the house and search thoroughly till she found it? And then, when she had found it, call together her friends and neighbours? “Rejoice with me,” she would say “I have found the drachma I lost.” In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing among the angels of God over one repentant sinner.’





Gospel reflection from St Beuno's Outreach

I take time to become still, feeling the warmth of God’s loving gaze on me as I offer this time in prayer.

I read through the text a couple of times, and then enter into the scene in my imagination. Where do I  find myself? Do I, like the scribes and Pharisees, find it hard to recognise my sinfulness and my need for repentance? Or do I readily accept my place among the sinners, and strive to move closer to Jesus as he relates the two parables?

What does Jesus want me to hear? The parables both describe searching for and  finding things that have been lost. What things in my life are so precious that I’d go to such lengths to find them? What am I striving for? For what do I need to ask God’s help? ... guidance? ... light?

Am I bringing the realities of my life to the Lord in my prayer, trusting totally in God and letting the Lord work through me, or are there aspects that I avoid facing up to?

I listen to Jesus describe the joy of finding what is lost. and I ponder what it is that brings joy to my life.

I share my thoughts and feelings with the Lord, and close with the prayer I am most drawn to.


Click here for a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post









No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...