Sunday 7 November 2021

Everything she possessed

Thirty-Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year B - 7th November 2021


Gospel Mark 12: 38–44


In his teaching Jesus said, ‘Beware of the scribes who like to walk about in long robes, to be greeted obsequiously in the market squares, to take the front seats in the synagogues and the places of honour at banquets; these are the people who swallow the property of widows, while making a show of lengthy prayers. The more severe will be the sentence they receive.

Jesus sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the treasury, and many of the rich put in a great deal. A poor widow came and put in two small coins, the equivalent of a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, ‘I tell you solemnly, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury; for they have all put in money they had over, but she from the little she had has put in everything she possessed, all she had to live on.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


In preparation for my personal time with the Lord, I give myself the space and time to slow down. I remember how much God loves it when we seek him and desire him. I ask the Holy Spirit to help me be attentive to my Lord, and to hear his voice.

When ready, I read the text slowly, a number of times.

I may want to focus on Jesus’s revolutionary teaching in relation to the behaviour of the scribes. I ponder the implications for our own times. Am I attracted to his teaching, or challenged ... even shocked ... as Jesus opposes the status quo here?

How does Jesus want his followers – and me – to live in the world today?
I note what stirs in me. I speak to Jesus openly about what comes to my mind and heart.
Perhaps I am drawn to sit with Jesus as he watches people in the treasury. I ask him to help me notice what he notices ...

I hear him teach the disciples about a new way of seeing the world. What is his tone as he shares this extraordinary teaching?

I may imagine him speaking directly to me, telling me about his way. Whatever my response to the Gospel, I entrust my thoughts and feelings openly to the Lord. I beg that his life may deepen in me.

I allow myself to rest awhile in his loving presence.

I end my prayer slowly, giving thanks.

Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...