Saturday 13 November 2021

Know that he is near

 Thirty-third Sunday of Ordinary Time Year B - 14th November 2021


Gospel Mark 13: 24–32



Jesus said to his disciples: ‘In those days, after the time of distress, the sun will be darkened, the moon will lose its brightness, the stars will come falling from heaven and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. And they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory; then too he will send the angels to gather his chosen from the four winds, from the ends of the world to the ends of heaven.

‘Take the fig tree as a parable: as soon as its twigs grow supple and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. So with you when you see these things happening: know that he is near, at the very gates. I tell you solemnly, before this generation has passed away all these things will have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

‘But as for that day or hour, nobody knows it, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son; no one but the Father.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach



I allow time to let my body lead my mind into stillness. It may help to listen to soothing music, or to focus my attention on a candle or favourite image.

However I choose to become settled before the Lord, I slowly read through the Gospel passage a couple of times when I am ready, to become more familiar with it.

Using my imagination, I picture Jesus sitting with his beloved disciples at the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem just before the Passover festival period is about to begin.

What do I notice about Jesus and the disciples?

What is the mood of the gathering ...  and how do the disciples respond when they hear Jesus speaking to them in this way?

If I were there amongst them, what would I be feeling and thinking?

What words of Jesus remain with me?

Sitting with Jesus, I tell him why these particular words are so important to me. I then ask Jesus for the grace and courage to live my life centred on his Word.

I close my prayer by joining Jesus and the disciples in praying Our Father ...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...