Monday 22 November 2021

I came into the world for this

 Feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, Year B - 21st November 2021


Gospel John 18: 33–37


‘Are you the King of the Jews?’ Pilate asked.

Jesus replied, ‘Do you say this of your own accord or have others spoken to you about me?’

Pilate answered, ‘Am I a Jew? It is your own people and the chief priests who have handed you over to me: what have you done?’ Jesus replied, ‘Mine is not a kingdom of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, my men would have fought to prevent my being surrendered to the Jews. But my kingdom is not of this kind.’

‘So you are a king then?’ said Pilate.

‘It is you who say it’, answered Jesus. ‘Yes, I am a king. I was born for this, I came into the world for this: to bear testimony to the truth; and all who are on the side of truth listen to my voice.’





Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Before turning to the Gospel reading, I take a few moments to settle and notice how I am feeling. I ask the Holy Spirit to help me open my ears, my mind, and my heart, as I begin my prayer.

After reading the Gospel a number of times, I may like to put the text aside and enter the scene in my imagination. Perhaps I position myself in the corner of the room from where I can clearly see Jesus and Pilate.

What strikes me about their appearance, their words, the tone of their voice, their gestures?

Perhaps I am drawn to explore the exchange more deeply by being Pilate, and seeing Jesus through his eyes. What impact do Jesus’s words have on him? Does taking this perspective give me a different insight into Jesus the King – the one who came into the world ... to bear testimony to the truth?

I might then also want to imagine myself in Jesus’s place. What do I hear in his voice? What is he feeling as he faces the consequences of having come into the world for our sakes?

Maybe now I hear again Jesus’s words – perhaps speaking directly to me – 'You’ (add my name) ‘who are on the side of truth listen to my voice.’

I take some time to reflect on what Jesus means by this.

In what ways do I live my life ‘on the side of truth’? Do I sometimes struggle to know what the truth is?

I take some time to speak to the Lord about what is in my heart and mind, as one friend to another.

Slowly bringing my time of prayer to a close, I ask the Lord to grant me the graces I need to help me live according to his truth.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...