Saturday 27 November 2021

Stay awake!

 First Sunday of Advent Year C, 28th November 2021


Gospel Luke 21: 25–28, 34–36


Jesus said to his disciples: ‘There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars; on earth nations in agony, bewildered by the clamour of the ocean and its waves; people dying of fear as they await what menaces the world, for the powers of heaven will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand erect, hold your heads high, because your liberation is near at hand.’

‘Watch yourselves, or your hearts will be coarsened with debauchery and drunkenness and the cares of life, and that day will be sprung on you suddenly, like a trap. For it will come down on every living being on the face of the earth. Stay awake, praying at all times for the strength to survive all that is going to happen, and to stand with confidence before the Son of Man.’




Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


After becoming still and aware of the Lord’s presence with me, I invite the Holy Spirit to guide me in my prayer. I then carefully read this very dramatic passage through several times. There is no rush: I can take as long as I like.

The words may give me a vivid image of the scene.

Perhaps I picture the Son of Man coming in a cloud in glory.

How would I feel to see this? ... Could I ‘stand erect and hold my head high’? Or would I feel trapped and unready?

Maybe I ponder the ‘cares of my life’ as I reflect over the past year, taking stock, noticing the highlights and low-lights. What am I most grateful for? Is there something that’s made me unhappy?

Is there anything I need to deal with before the year-end?

Perhaps there is something I’d like to leave behind ... or build on? What would I like to accomplish in the coming year?

‘The clamour of the ocean and its waves’ may remind me of recent natural disasters –  floods, tsunamis and rising oceans. I think of all those suffering throughout the world and entrust them to the Lord.

Is there any way, no mater how small, in which I can help?

With a sense of gratitude, I recall the Lord’s help in my own times of sorrow or distress and the strength I’ve been given, maybe through the support of a friend, or the kindness of a stranger.

As I slowly end with a prayer of my choice, I can rest with the Lord.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...