Saturday 30 October 2021

Your reward will be great in heaven

Feast of All Saints Year B - 31st October 2021


Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12

Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat down and was joined by his disciples. Then he began to speak.

This is what he taught them:

‘How happy are the poor in spirit; theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Happy the gentle: they shall inherit the earth for their heritage. Happy those who mourn: they shall be comforted.

Happy those who hunger and thirst for what is right: they shall be satisfied.

Happy the merciful: they shall have mercy shown them. Happy the pure in heart: they shall see God.

Happy the peacemakers: they shall be called children of God. Happy those who are persecuted in the cause of right:

theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Happy are you when people abuse you and persecute you and speak all kinds of calumny against you on my account.

Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.’



Adoring Saints, from the San Pier Maggiore Altarpiece, National Gallery 

Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Coming to pray with this familiar text, I may want to take a few minutes to clear my mind and put aside any preconceptions. I ask the Lord for the grace to hear his words anew and receive them with an open heart and mind.

As I read, perhaps there are parts of the text where my attention seems to linger. I repeat the words a few times, noticing the feelings which arise within me.

As I ponder the words, perhaps I am drawn to look at aspects of my life in the light of one or more of the Bea tudes? Gently – and without judgement –

I may, for example, want to consider where I need a particular grace to help me respond to the invitation to be pure in heart.

Perhaps praying with this text for All Saints’ Sunday leads me to recall those Saints from among my own friends and family who have gone before, and whom I know are now rejoicing with God.

What do I recall about the way they lived their lives ...?

... about their example to me, about what I learned from them?

As I cherish the memories I hold, I spend some time thanking God for the gift of their lives.

When I feel ready, I bring my time of prayer to a close, thanking the Lord for his loving presence with the words of the Our Father. Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...