Saturday 5 December 2020

The beginning of the Good News

 Second Sunday of Advent Year B - 6th December 2020


Gospel Mark 1: 1–11


The beginning of the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. It is written in the book of the prophet Isaiah:

Look, I am going to send my messenger before you;
he will prepare your way.
A voice cries in the wilderness:
Prepare a way for the Lord, make his paths straight.
And so it was that John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
All Judea and all the people of Jerusalem made their way to him,
and as they were baptised by him in the river Jordan, they confessed their sins. John wore a garment of camel-skin, and he lived on locusts and wild honey. In the course of his preaching he said, ‘Someone is following me, someone who is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to kneel down and undo the strap of his sandals. I have baptised you with water, but he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit.’



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach



I enter into prayer slowly, humbly aware that God desires my company right now. I ask that his living Spirit might pray in me, with me, through me.

I read the text with a receptive mind and spirit.
What do I notice ...? What draws my attention ...?

Maybe I sense Jesus’s presence beside me. I ask how scripture spoke to him as he grew in understanding of his calling, perhaps experiencing confusion and uncertainty himself.

I allow Jesus to share his very self, and speak intimately to my inner being. In this time of Advent, perhaps I, too, am drawn to make my way into a ‘wilderness’ to prepare to receive the Lord ...

I beg for God’s help to create a time of quiet preparation to receive the Holy Spirit anew ... asking the Lord to bring to my attention any fears, hurts, or the need for a changed heart. Whatever arises, I take care not to judge harshly, but allow God’s infinite, healing mercy to wash over and through me.

I share with my loving Lord whatever has arisen. I acknowledge and give thanks for my own worth in God’s eyes ... aware that I am his beloved child.
I ask for the grace I need to be a messenger of the Good News in my life.
Glory be ...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...