Saturday 12 December 2020

A voice that cries in the wilderness

 Third Sunday of Advent - Gaudete Sunday - Year B, 13th December 2020


Gospel John 1: 6–8.19–28


A man came, sent by God. His name was John. He came as a witness, as a witness to speak for the light, so that everyone might believe through him. He was not the light, only a witness to speak for the light.
This is how John appeared as a witness. When the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, ‘Who are you?’, he declared quite openly, ‘I am not the Christ.’ ‘Well then,’ they asked, ‘are you Elijah?’ ‘I am not’, he said. ‘Are you the Prophet?’ He answered, ‘No.’ So they said to him, ‘Who are you? We must take back an answer to those who sent us. What have you to say about yourself?’ So John said, ‘I am, as Isaiah prophesised: a voice that cries in the wilderness: Make a straight way for the Lord.’
Now these men had been sent by the Pharisees, and they put this further question to him. ‘Why are you baptising if you are not the Christ, and not Elijah and not the prophet?’ John replied, ‘I baptise with water; but there stands among you – unknown to you – the one who is coming after me; and I am not fit to undo his sandal strap’. This happened at Bethany, on the far side of the Jordan, where John was baptising.





Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


It may help me to prepare to pray by focusing my attention on some image that speaks to me of Advent: perhaps an Advent wreath or candle, or an Advent carol or some other music that speaks to me of watching ...

     of longing ... of waiting.

I take time to settle my mind and body in whichever way suits me best.
I gently notice the distractions of my thoughts, and with compassion place them before God.
I wait ... in silence ... and in stillness.Once I feel settled and prepared to pray with the Gospel, I read it slowly and prayerfully.

The text has two parts. The first paragraph is a short theological introduction; the rest is more descriptive. It may help my time of prayer to pause, and then focus on each part separately.

In the first part, what do I notice about the way the Evangelist introduces John the Baptist?

In the second part, I may like to use my imagination to put myself in the scene on the banks of the river Jordan. What do I notice about John, and about the devout Jewish leaders who come to question him?

What seems to be their intention towards him, and what is John’s intention towards them?
What is John trying to teach them..? and what might this scripture be teaching me about Christ?

I share with the Lord whatever is in my heart, as with a dear and trusted friend. I close my prayer with a slow sign of the cross.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...