Saturday 19 December 2020

‘I am the handmaid of the Lord’

 Fourth Sunday of Advent Year B - 20th December 2020

Gospel Luke 1: 26–38


In the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the House of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. He went in and said to her, ‘Rejoice, so highly favoured! The Lord is with you.’ She was deeply disturbed by these words and asked herself what this greeting could mean, but the angel said to her, ‘Mary, do not be afraid: you have won God’s favour. Listen! You are to conceive and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David; he will rule over the House of Jacob for ever and his reign will have no end.’ Mary said to the angel, ‘But how can this come about, since I am a virgin?’ ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you,’ the angel answered, ‘and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow. And so the child will be holy and will be called Son of God. Know this too: your kinswoman Elizabeth has, in her old age, herself conceived a son, and she whom people called barren is now in her sixth month, for nothing is impossible to God.’ ‘I am the handmaid of the Lord,’ said Mary, ‘let what you have said be done to me.’ And the angel left her.



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Amidst the busyness of these last few days before Christmas, I find some precious time in a comfortable place to spend with the Lord. I become still and slowly settle into prayer. I note how I am feeling. Is there anything in particular I am bringing with me into my prayer today..? Fears, joys, anxieties, consolations..?

I entrust any concerns to the Lord for now, so that I can focus my attention on this time with him. Maybe I sense the warmth of his loving gaze, and his delight in my desire to spend time with him.

In time, I read this familiar Gospel prayerfully, pausing wherever I feel drawn. Perhaps I place myself in the scene, noticing what Mary is doing in her house ... the expression on her face and eyes as she sees the angel.

Gabriel’s first word is ‘Rejoice’. I ponder those things that bring me joy, or the ways in which I am, or have been, a joy to others.

What comes to mind as I hear the words ‘Mary, do not be afraid; you have won God’s favour’? I bring to the Lord any fears or doubts troubling me, or any grace I feel I need. I speak freely from my heart.

Maybe I hear Gabriel giving God’s message to me now. How would I like to respond?

I may choose to stay with Mary and speak with her about her inner strength and trust in God. Or perhaps I talk to Jesus, asking him for the grace of Mary’s courage and faith, so that I may respond even more deeply to his call.

With a deep sense of gratitude, I end my prayer with ‘Glory be ...’


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...