Saturday 28 November 2020

Stay awake

 First Sunday of Advent Year B - 29th November 2020


Gospel Mark 13: 33–37

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Be on your guard, stay awake, because you never know when the time will come. It is like a man travelling abroad: he has gone from home, and left his servants in charge, each with his own task; and he has told the doorkeeper to stay awake. So stay awake, because you do not know when the master of the house is coming, evening, midnight, cockcrow, dawn; if he comes unexpectedly, he must not find you asleep. And what I say to you I say to all: Stay awake!’



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I come to my place of prayer. Perhaps I light a candle.

I take the time to relax my body and still my mind. I breathe gently, slowly becoming aware of being held in God’s presence.

I remain silent in his love for some time.

When I am ready, I read the text slowly a couple of times.

I reflect on what ‘the time’ means for me.

A time of grace ... of awareness of God working in my life ...

of reconciliation ... of an important insight ... of the unexpected ...? Or a time of something more momentous?

I ponder the occasions, people, events that have struck me this week. Perhaps I can give thanks for being aware of God’s presence there.

I consider the little parable and the role of the doorkeeper. How easy is it to stay attentive?

How do I cope with waiting, especially with delays and false alerts? In what way is my waiting a prayer in itself?

Maybe I pray to remain faithful and responsible. As doorkeeper, I open the door of my heart to the Lord.

In what ways can I encourage others to do likewise?

We wait together. I speak to the Lord of what this means in my life.

In my prayer perhaps I can watch with all those who wait in our world, enduring oppression of all kinds, those who struggle to work for solidarity and reconciliation.

Advent is a time of hope – the Lord will come. I end my prayer asking the Lord to deepen my faith and enable my hope to grow.

Our Father...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...