Sunday 29 August 2021

From your hearts...

 Twenty-second Sunday of Ordinary Time Year B - 29th August 2021


Gospel Mark 7: 1–8. 14–15. 21–23

The Pharisees and some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus, and they noticed that some of his disciples were eating with unclean hands, that is, without washing them. For the Pharisees, and the Jews in general, follow the tradition of the elders and never eat without washing their arms as far as the elbow; and on returning from the market place they never eat without first sprinkling themselves. There are also many other observances which have been handed down to them concerning the washing of cups and pots and bronze dishes. So the Pharisees and scribes asked him, ‘Why do your disciples not respect the tradition of the elders but eat their food with unclean hands?’ He answered, ‘It was of you hypocrites that Isaiah so rightly prophesied in this passage of scripture: “This people honours me only with lip-service, while their hearts are far from me. The worship they offer me is worthless, the doctrines they teach are only human regulations.” You put aside the commandment of God to cling to human traditions.’

He called the people to him again and said, ‘Listen to me, all of you, and understand. Nothing that goes into you from outside can make you unclean. For it is from within, from your hearts, that evil intentions emerge: fornication, theft, murder, adultery, avarice, malice, deceit, indecency, envy, slander, pride, folly. All these evil things come from within and make you unclean.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle to pray, I pause, and become aware of God’s loving gaze on me.

I read through the text, perhaps imagining myself in the scene. If a phrase or an action particularly strikes me, I pause, staying with it to explore what has drawn me. I watch the scene unfold ... what strikes me about the insistence of the Pharisees that traditions must be respected?

How important are traditions in my own life? How does my adherence to them influence the way I relate to others?

I may want to ask the Lord to help me understand.

How do I feel when I hear Jesus say it is from within that evil intentions arise?

Though I may not be guilty of the most damaging sins of which Jesus speaks, perhaps I recognise where I am in need of forgiveness when I consider the way I live and my relationships with others ...?

I speak to the Lord from the depth of my heart, tell him of my sorrow, and offer my deep gratitude for the mercy he shows me.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...