Saturday 21 August 2021

You have the message of eternal life

 Twenty-First Sunday of Ordinary Time Year B - 22nd August 2021


Gospel John 6: 60–69

After hearing his doctrine many of the followers of Jesus said, ‘This is intolerable language. How could anyone accept it?’ Jesus was aware that his followers were complaining about it and said, ‘Does this upset you? What if you should see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before?

‘It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh has nothing to offer. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. But there are some of you who do not believe.’

For Jesus knew from the outset those who did not believe, and who it was that would betray him. He went on, ‘This is why I told you that no one could come to me unless the Father allows them.’ After this, many of his disciples left him and stopped going with him.

Then Jesus said to the Twelve, ‘What about you, do you want to go away too?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘Lord, who shall we go to? You have the message of eternal life, and we believe; we know that you are the Holy One of God.’

You have the message of eternal life


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I bring compassionate attention to how I sit, stand or lie, so that my body can be alert, yet comfortable, and ready to listen to the Lord.

After taking a couple of deeper, settling breaths, I let my breath find its own soothing rhythm. I gently encourage my mind to slow down and settle as I prepare to pray.

Now I turn to the text and slowly read it through as many times as I need to become familiar with it.

I imagine being part of the crowd of followers, or one of The Twelve.

I hear Jesus describing himself as the Bread of Life, and how we must eat of his flesh. Can I imagine what it would be like hearing this for the first time? What can this really mean ... ? Am I shocked too?

What questions do I have for Jesus?

Thinking of my own faith journey, have there ever been times when I have struggled to understand this ...? Or are there other teachings that I find upsetting?

I imagine Jesus turning to me and saying, ‘Do you (my name) want to go away too?’ Where else can I go? How do I answer Jesus?

I tell Jesus what words of his are ‘spirit and life’ for me.

I then share all that has arisen for me in my time of prayer, and together with Jesus pray ‘Our Father ...’

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...