Sunday 4 July 2021

They would not accept him

 Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B - 4th July 2021


Gospel Mark 6: 1–6

Jesus went to his home town and his disciples accompanied him. With the coming of the sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue and most of them were astonished when they heard him. They said, ‘Where did the man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been granted him, and these miracles that are worked through him? This is the carpenter, surely, the son of Mary, the brother of James and Joset and Jude and Simon? His sisters, too, are they not here with us? And they would not accept him. And Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is only despised in his own country among his own relations and in his own house’; and he could work no miracles there, though he cured a few sick people by laying hands on them. He was amazed at their lack of faith.



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Like Jesus before me, I withdraw to a quiet place of solitude to pray, perhaps out in nature, or even on a prayer walk. I ask the Holy Spirit to help still my inner being and be present to Jesus’s loving presence.

When ready, I read the Gospel slowly, several times. I probably recognise the story ... but there may be aspects of it which haven’t struck me before. I spend as much time as I need with these.

Jesus is facing opposition and rejection as he tries to do his Father’s will in his home town. Maybe this brings to mind similar experiences in my own life when I have felt misunderstood, disempowered ...?

Or perhaps I am drawn to ponder the experiences of disadvantaged people across the world. I share whatever arises with my compassionate Lord, who truly understands us all.

Using my imagination, I may take time to enter more deeply into the Gospel scene in whatever way I can. Perhaps I sense Jesus’s mood ... the disciples’ mood ... their confusion at the lack of respect and faith of the Nazareans.

I may feel drawn to the Lord’s side ... to comfort him in his sense of rejection. I allow the narrative to come alive. I remain with Jesus and his followers as the story unfolds. I notice... I ponder... I listen... I share...

When I am ready, I ask the Lord to be truly astonished by his wisdom, as were those in the synagogue. I beg to be drawn into deeper friendship, relationship and dependency on him.

Glory be ...


Click here  to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...