Sunday 11 July 2021

He began to send them out

 Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year B - 11th July 2021


Gospel Mark 6: 7–13


Then Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out in pairs giving them authority over the unclean spirits. And he instructed them to take nothing for the journey except a staff – no bread, no haversack, no coppers for their purses. They were to wear sandals but, he added, ‘Do not take a spare tunic’. And he said to them, ‘If you enter a house anywhere, stay there until you leave the district. And if any place does not welcome you and people refuse to listen to you, as you walk away, shake off the dust from under your feet as a sign to them.’ So they set off to preach repentance; and they cast out many devils, and anointed many sick people with oil and cured them.


Shake off the dust... (from freebibleimages.org)




Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I settle into my quiet space and take time to become comfortable. Then I consciously place myself in the Lord’s presence.

He is already waiting for me here, and delighted I have arrived.

I read this Gospel passage through several times. If helpful, I may like to use my imagination to place myself in the scene.

I watch Jesus gathering the disciples to him, and notice the reactions of others around him. Perhaps I imagine myself to be one of the Twelve and hear his words of encouragement.

How do I feel being chosen and trusted to go out by Jesus, carrying virtually nothing with me? Excited, nervous, or ...? Do I feel ready?

I re ect on my own life today ... where is Jesus sending me?

I listen to Jesus as he asks me to labour alongside him, entrusting myself to him just as I am.
With a sense of gratitude, I may also like to ponder those who have journeyed with me along the way. Who, or what, has given me support?

Jesus sends the disciples out in pairs with just a staff to lean on. He doesn’t want them to be held back by anything non-essential.

What might it be that holds me back from travelling lightly?
I share this with the Lord and ask for his help to let it go.

Jesus experienced opposition and rejection himself. Now he advises the Twelve how they might handle it. I ask Jesus to help me keep my focus on him, and not let any negative ‘dust’ cling to me and hinder me.

I note how I am feeling now and share this with Jesus.
I listen to what he might be saying to me.
I end my prayer slowly with words of my choice, grateful for his infinite love and his trust in me.


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...