Sunday 14 March 2021

God loved the world so much ...

 Fourth Sunday of Lent Year B - 14th March 2021


Gospel John 3: 14–21

Jesus said to Nicodemus:

The Son of Man must be lifted up

as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert,

so that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.

Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son,

so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost

but may have eternal life.

For God sent his Son into the world not to condemn the world,

but so that through him the world might be saved.

No one who believes in him will be condemned;

but whoever refuses to believe is condemned already,

because he or she has refused to believe in the name of God’s only Son. On these grounds is sentence pronounced:

that though the light has come into the world,

men and women have shown they prefer darkness to the light

because their deeds were evil.

And indeed, everybody who does wrong hates the light and avoids it, for fear their actions should be exposed;

but the one who lives by the truth comes out into the light,

so that it may be plainly seen that what that person does

is done in God.

God loved the world so much...


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I prepare myself to pray with the Gospel in whatever way suits me best.

When I have come to a point of stillness, I begin to read the passage.

It may help my prayer to imagine the scene of this secretive meeting between Jesus and Nicodemus. Earlier in the Gospel we are told it takes place under the cover of darkness. I ponder the significance of this detail.

Perhaps I picture myself hidden in the shadows of night, watching and listening in to this conversation.

What did Jesus need Nicodemus to hear ... and to understand? What does Jesus need me to hear ... and to understand?

Do I have any questions for Jesus?

I imagine putting them to him, and in silence I listen.

I ask for the grace I need to turn back towards the light.

I draw my prayer to an end by saying Our Father ...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...