Saturday 20 March 2021

I shall draw all people to myself

 Fifth Sunday of Lent Year B - 21st March 2021


Gospel John 12: 20–30


Among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. These approached Philip, and put this request to him, ‘Sir, we should like to see Jesus.’ Philip went to tell Andrew, and together they went to tell Jesus. Jesus replied to them:

‘Now the hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. I tell you, most solemnly, unless a wheat grain falls on the ground and dies, it remains only a single grain; but if it dies, it yields a rich harvest. Anyone who loves their life loses it; anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, they must follow me, wherever I am, my servant will be there too. If anyone serves me, my Father will honour them. Now my soul is troubled. What shall I say: Father, save me from this hour? But it was for this very reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name!’

A voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.’ People standing by, who heard this, said it was a clap of thunder; others said, ‘It was an angel speaking to him.’ Jesus answered, ‘It was not for my sake that this voice came, but for yours. Now sentence is being passed on this world; now the prince of this world is to be overthrown. And when I am lifted up from the earth, I shall draw all people to myself.’

By these words he indicated the kind of death he would die.



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I come to my place of prayer asking the Lord to give me the grace to hear his word and allow it to enter my heart.

Why am I here? Like the Greeks, do I wish to see and listen to Jesus?

I take the time to become aware of my desires, before slowly reading the text a couple of times.

I consider the little parable of the grain of wheat. How does it speak to me? In what ways do falling and dying resonate with me? Perhaps I miss something by clinging to the present.

I consider how can I be open, risk, learn ... and maybe bring life to others.

As I speak to the Lord about this, I also consider Jesus’s own pain, his consciousness of his coming suffering. I also see his trust in his Father. How can I learn from this?

Once again, I speak to him from my heart.

I end my prayer with a slow Our Father.

Download the beautiful Praying Holy Week booklet from St Beuno's Outreach here.  Readings, poems, art and reflections to guide you through Holy Week.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...