Sunday 21 June 2020

Worth more than hundreds of sparrows

Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A, 21st June 2020


We're back in green for Ordinary Time this Sunday - the colour of life, growth and healing!

Gospel Matthew 10: 26–33


Jesus instructed the Twelve as follows: ‘Do not be afraid. For everything that is now covered will be uncovered, and everything now hidden will be made clear. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the daylight; what you hear in whispers, proclaim from the rooftops.

‘Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; fear him rather who can destroy both body and soul in hell. Can you not buy two sparrows for a penny? And yet not one falls to the ground without your Father knowing. Why, every hair on your head has been counted. So there is no need to be afraid; you are worth more than hundreds of sparrows.

‘So if anyone declares themself for me in the presence of others, I will declare myself for them in the presence of my Father in heaven. But the one who disowns me in the presence of others, I will disown in the presence of my Father in heaven.’


Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I become aware of the God who desires me and seeks my company now... conscious of his loving attention in this moment.

I ask his living Spirit to pray in me, with me, through me...

I read Jesus’s teachings prayerfully, a couple of times.

Maybe I can sense his presence as I read? I listen to the qualities of his voice, and the words he uses as he instructs his disciples.

As I linger here, what responses in me arise? I try to find my own words ... or I may simply rest in deep shared silence with Jesus.

Perhaps I am conscious of my fears for myself and my loved ones; for the marginalised peoples of our interconnected world at this time of pandemic.

As a disciple of Jesus, can I open my heart to hear and pray his repeated words: ‘Do not be afraid (my name) ...’?

Or perhaps I find myself really struggling to trust in the promises of Jesus, and to have confidence in the Father’s intimate care?

Whatever arises within me, I take care not to judge. I can speak openly to the Lord about it. I ask him to help me trust in his universal power and care for us during these confusing and unpredictable days.

As I slowly end my prayer, I give thanks for my own worth as seen through God’s eyes. I ask the Spirit for the grace I need to be a courageous, faithful disciple.

Did you know that the words Do not be afraid appear in the Bible 365 times - once for every day of the year?

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...