Saturday 27 June 2020

Who do you say I am?

Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles Year A - 28th June 2020

Gospel Matthew 16: 13–19

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi he put this question to his disciples, ‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say he is John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’

‘But you,’ he said, ‘who do you say I am?’

Then Simon Peter spoke up. ‘You are the Christ,’ he said, ‘the Son of the living God.’ Jesus replied, ‘Simon son of Jonah, you are a happy man! Because it was not flesh and blood that revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. So now I say to you: You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. And the gates of the underworld can never hold out against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.’


Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I prepare to spend time in prayer, I make a conscious effort to relax my body and my mind so as to be alert and receptive to God’s word.

I breathe slowly, perhaps asking for a special grace for today.

When ready, I take up the text and take time to read it slowly.

Perhaps I can imagine myself with Jesus and the disciples walking quietly, away from Galilee and the crowds. I listen to the disciples as they answer Jesus’s question.
What do I think of their replies?

And then Jesus asks me personally ‘Who do you say I am?’

The disciples fade away and I am left with Jesus. How do I feel?
Maybe I stay with him and tell him what he means to me.
I speak to him and then remain with him as I listen to his voice, or rest quietly in his presence.

How do Peter’s words help me? I may wish to consider Jesus’s reply and then pray for his Church, for Peter’s successors, and for all leaders at this difficult time ...
I end my prayer in gratitude for all those in the service of leadership. Glory be ...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...