Sunday 3 July 2022

The Kingdom of God is very near you

Fourteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time, Year C - 3rd July 2022

 Gospel: Luke 10: 1–12.17–20 (part)

The Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them out ahead of him in pairs, to all the towns and places he himself was to visit. He said to them, ‘The harvest is rich but the labourers are few, so ask the Lord of the harvest to send labourers to his harvest. Start off now, but remember, I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. Carry no purse, no haversack, no sandals. Salute no one on the road. Whatever house you go into, let your first words be, ‘Peace to this house!’ And if someone of peace lives there, your peace will go and rest on them; if not, it will come back to you. Stay in the same house, taking what food and drink they have to offer, for the labourer deserves their wages; do not move from house to house, and eat what is set before you. Cure those in it who are sick, and say, ‘The Kingdom of God is very near you.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I help my mind to prepare for prayer by slowing down and settling my body first. I focus my attention on my breathing, following each in and out breath.

When I am stilled enough for prayer, I read the Gospel passage a few times until I become familiar with it. I use my imagination to picture Jesus sending out the seventy-two and giving them his guidance.

What do the followers look like?

I wonder if is there a tone of urgency ... calm confidence ... compassion ... or perhaps something else in how Jesus speaks to his followers?

What am I drawn to in the words of Jesus?

Perhaps I imagine that Jesus comes to my faith community and meets with me and my fellow followers. He is preparing and encouraging us, and wants us to go before him into the streets, neighbourhoods and areas that are familiar to us.

Jesus sends me and his followers out with nothing but ourselves. Why? Do I feel ready to accept his call?

How do I feel about this mission he is giving to me?

I share with Jesus my fears and hopes, asking for whatever I need to be able to set out before him. I listen to what Jesus says to me.

I close my prayer by imagining praying the Our Father with Jesus by my side.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...