Saturday 25 June 2022

Follow me

 Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year C - 26th June 2022


Gospel Luke 9: 51–62

As the time drew near for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely took the road to Jerusalem and sent messengers ahead of him. These set out, and they went into a Samaritan village to make preparations for him, but the people would not receive him because he was making for Jerusalem. Seeing this, the disciples James and John said, ‘Lord, do you want us to call down fire from heaven to burn them up?’ But he turned and rebuked them, and they went on to another village. As they travelled along they met someone on the road, who said to him, ‘I will follow you wherever you go.’ Jesus answered, ‘Foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.’

Another to whom he said, ‘Follow me,’ replied, ‘Let me go and bury my father first.’ But he answered, ‘Leave the dead to bury their dead; your duty is to go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.’ Another said, ‘I will follow you, sir, but first let me go and say good-bye to my people at home.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Once the hand is laid on the plough, no one who looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.’

Once the hand is laid on the plough...


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle slowly into stillness, I try to set aside anything that may be distracting me, entrusting it to the Lord’s safe keeping. I ask for the Spirit’s help to guide me through this Gospel text. I read until I am familiar with it.
Perhaps I place myself in the scene, travelling alongside Jesus on the road. I notice the expression on his face and hear the tone of his voice.
Now I turn my attention to the three people Jesus meets on the road, and listen to them talk. Do I see something of myself in any of them?
Are there times when I feel tied down by something, or anxious about
‘not having’ or of ‘letting go’? Where do my priorities lie?
I ponder how I am being called to follow Jesus. How can I respond? Perhaps I’ve tried to make excuses. I can be confident that the Lord will not ask of me anything more than I can give.
Thanking the Lord for his invitation to follow him, I let him know what is in my heart. I ask him to give me whatever grace I need.
I may like to close with the prayer of St Richard of Chichester:
Most merciful Redeemer, Friend and Brother, may I see you more clearly, love you more dearly, and follow you more nearly, day by day. Amen.

Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute-Homily on this Sunday's readings from The Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...