Monday 11 May 2020

The Spirit of Truth

Sixth Sunday of Easter Year A - 17th May 2020


Gospel John 14: 15 - 21


Jesus said to his disciples: ‘If you love me, you will keep my commandments. I shall ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you for ever, that Spirit of truth whom the world can never receive since it neither sees nor knows him; but you know him, because he is with you, he is in you.

I will not leave you orphans; I will come back to you. In a short time the world will no longer see me; but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will understand that I am in my Father and you in me and I in you. Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.’

Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach 


I make myself comfortable and try to become still. I may wish to focus on my breathing as I slow down.

Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit upon the Early Church.

As I breathe in, I invite the Spirit to live in me.

As I breathe out, I imagine getting rid of any fears, doubts, self-reliance, lack of trust.

When ready, I slowly read the Gospel. Where do I find myself pausing? Perhaps I notice what it means to me ... to be so close to the Lord that I am in him and the Lord is in me?

... that I was loved first, and the commandment is simply to respond to that love ...?

... that I will not be left orphaned?

I stay with whatever is drawing my attention, noticing how I feel.
What might the Lord be saying to me through these words?

Do I wish to say something in response? Again, I pause, moving on only when ready.

The Gospel message is that Jesus wishes to give me the Advocate, the Spirit of truth. I may like to end by asking the Spirit, now, to help me receive the Lord’s commandment to love and to keep it in my heart.

Come, Holy Spirit, fill my heart and enkindle in me the fire of your divine love. Spirit, at work in me, renew the face of the world. Amen.


And here is a One-Minute-Homily on LAST Sunday's gospel, from the Jesuit Post.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...