Saturday 20 February 2021

‘The time has come’

 First Sunday of Lent Year B - 21st February 2021


Gospel Mark 1: 12–15


The Spirit drove Jesus out into the wilderness and he remained there for forty days, and was tempted by Satan. He was with the wild beasts, and the angels looked after him.

After John had been arrested Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the Good News from God. ‘The time has come’, he said, ‘and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent and believe the Good News.’



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I begin my prayer, I relax my body and clear my mind so as to be fully present to my God. I put aside my concerns for this moment, breathing in God’s love and goodness. I know he loves me just as I am, and I may ask for the grace to respond.

When I am ready, I take up the Gospel passage and read it slowly. I then read the first paragraph again. I imagine Jesus, immediately following his baptism by John, inspired by the Spirit as he goes out into the wilderness.

Jesus is ‘driven’ by the Spirit. What is this force?
He goes out into solitude, into silence. Why?
I may wish to consider the importance of the Spirit and the role of silence in my own life.

God keeps Jesus safe – the angels look after him. Yet he is tempted by Satan and surrounded by wild beasts.

As his disciple, I will not be protected from fear and temptation.
How can I remain trusting and faithful in these times?

At his baptism, the Father spoke to Jesus: ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on you’. Can I hear these same words spoken to me too, as God’s beloved child?

It is after this time of testing, of clarification, that Jesus begins his ministry. As I begin this season of Lent, I may pray to the Spirit that it be a time of revelation for me, my community, my world ...

What is my desire for this time?
I speak to the Lord, I listen to him.

I end my prayer in thanksgiving, 'Glory be ...’

Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...