Sunday 17 July 2022

Few things are needed, indeed only one

 Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 17th July 2022


Gospel Luke 10: 38–42

Jesus came to a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. She had a sister called Mary, who sat down at the Lord’s feet and listened to him speaking. Now Martha, who was distracted with all the serving, said, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister is leaving me to do the serving all by myself? Please tell her to help me.’ But the Lord answered: ‘Martha, Martha,’ he said, ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle to pray, I relax my body and my mind so that I can be attentive to the presence of God in me and all around me.

I breathe in God’s love and life and ask the Spirit to pray within me.

I consider this familiar story. I imagine the scene. How does Jesus seem to be? Is he relaxed or anxious?

I then look at the sisters. With which one do I appear, at first, to identify? Why is that?

I talk to the Lord about this. Do I feel any change in my attitude now? If so, in what way?

How do I respond to the second sister? I speak to the Lord about this too.

As I consider the scene, what do I make of Jesus’s words? What for me is ‘the better part’? I spend some time pondering this.

What do I treasure, and wish not to be taken from me in my relationship with the Lord? I speak to him from my heart.

I think about hospitality. Jesus is my guest. Do I think he wants frenetic service? What does he really want from me?

I move to think of others. How do I welcome them? Do I listen attentively?

I sit silently at Jesus’s feet. Maybe he has something to say to me.

I end my prayer asking the Lord to help me see him today in all those I meet.

Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...