Sunday 12 June 2022

Everything the Father has is mine

 The Most Holy Trinity, Year C - 12th June 2022


Gospel John 16: 12–15

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘I still have many things to say to you, but they would be too much for you now.

But when the Spirit of truth comes, he will lead you to the complete truth, since he will not be speaking as from himself but will say only what he has learnt; and he will tell you of the things to come.

He will glorify me, since all he tells you will be taken from what is mine. Everything the Father has is mine; that is why I said: “All he tells you will be taken from what is mine.”’

14th century ivory carving of the Holy Trinity,  V&A Museum


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Mindful of this feast of the Holy Trinity, I begin my prayer by making a very slow, thoughtful sign of the cross. Perhaps this is a gesture I often make without really thinking ... but today I take time to ponder each person of the Trinity. I prepare myself for prayer in whatever way works best for me.

In time, I slowly read through the Gospel a number of times, savouring the words, and noticing where I find myself drawn.

I take my time – revisiting the words or phrases that particularly speak to me. I invite my creator, who is God the Father ... the Word made flesh who is my saviour Jesus Christ ... and the Holy Spirit, bringer of light and wisdom ...

to enlighten my heart and mind as I continue to ponder the mystery of their unity.

I may want to imagine myself now standing alongside the disciples, looking on as Jesus speaks. Perhaps at first I find his words too much to comprehend fully. Then Jesus speaks directly to me, reminding me that I share, with him, the knowledge of what is to happen in the days and weeks ahead ...

the horror of his death on the cross, and the glory of his resurrection and ascension into heaven. How do I feel now as I ponder what I myself believe to be that truth brought by the Spirit, glorifying Jesus and the Father?

As I begin to draw my prayer to a close, I ask myself how my beliefs influence the way I am living my life now. Do my actions always bear witness to the love I have been given? Do others see the love of God through me?

In faith and humility, I ask for the graces and blessings I need always to bear true witness to the glory of the Father, Son and Spirit.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on today's readings from The Jesuit Post



No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...