Sunday 8 May 2022

The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice

 Fourth Sunday of Easter, Year C - 8th May 2022


Gospel John 10: 27–30

Jesus said: ‘The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice;

I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life; they will never be lost and no one will ever steal them from me. The Father who gave them to me is greater than anyone, and no one can steal from the Father.

The Father and I are one.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I come to the place where I will pray today, and pause for a few moments to remind myself that the Lord is already here, patiently waiting for me, and is looking on me with such love. I take time to become still in whatever way works best for me – perhaps by paying attention to my breathing.

I don’t try to change it – I just focus on how the air flows in through my nose, and out through my mouth. Each breath in fills me with a sense of the Lord’s love and peace. With each breath out I let go of any cares or concerns I am carrying with me.

I read this short passage a number of times – slowly and deliberately, paying attention to each word, and pausing to allow them to sink in.

‘The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice.’

Where in my life am I truly listening to the voice of Jesus, my shepherd? Are there things I know the Lord is trying to get me to listen to – but which, for whatever reason, I am resisting?

‘I know them and they follow me.’

How does it feel to recall how completely God knows me?

How closely do I really follow? Have I always followed or are there times when I have drifted away or fallen behind?

‘No one will ever steal them from me.’

Are there temptations that still sometimes attract me? Am I at times persuaded to take other paths, fall in with other flocks?

Very gently, and without any hint of self-judgement, I ponder where these risks might be for me. I might want to share my sorrow for times past with the Lord – or I may want to ask for the grace to better recognise and resist the temptations that might separate me from the Lord.

As I bring my time with the Lord to a close, I pray for the grace:

To see him more clearly, love him more dearly, and follow him more nearly, day by day by day.


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on this Sunday's gospel

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...