Saturday 26 February 2022

Every tree can be told by its own fruit

 Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year C - 27th February 2022


Gospel Luke 6: 39–45



Jesus told a parable to his disciples, ‘Can one blind person guide another? Surely both will fall into a pit? The disciple is not superior to the teacher; the fully trained disciple will always be like their teacher. Why do you observe the splinter in your brother’s eye and never notice the plank in your own? How can you say to your brother, “Brother, let me take out the splinter that is in your eye”, when you cannot see the plank in your own? Hypocrite! Take the plank out of your own eye first, and then you will see clearly enough to take out the splinter that is in your brother’s eye.

‘There is no sound tree that produces rotten fruit, nor again a rotten tree that produces sound fruit. For every tree can be told by its own fruit; people do not pick figs from thorns, nor gather grapes from brambles. A good person draws what is good from the store of goodness in their heart; a bad person draws what is bad from the store of badness. For a person’s words flow out of their heart.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


Coming to my prayer, I do not rush; taking time, I allow myself to become still in body and mind in the presence of God. I ask the Holy Spirit to help me to pray.

I remember that, although I am a sinner, I am also uniquely loved and already forgiven by God, whatever my prayer might reveal to me.

When I am ready, I read these familiar words slowly, perhaps several  mes, noticing the phrases that seem to stand out for me. I ponder these words, sharing my thoughts and feelings with the Lord.
By whom do I allow myself to be led? Perhaps I see circumstances where I am like the one who cannot see and follows blindly.

I ponder my relationships with others. Maybe I try to lead others, but need more discernment, or have a tendency to criticise.

I ask the Lord to show me what I need to see about myself.

Where in my life do I need the guidance of Jesus, my teacher, so that I may reflect his goodness, more and more? I ask for all that I need.

After a while, I end my prayer slowly, giving thanks. Our Father ...

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...