Sunday 2 January 2022

They offered him gifts

The Epiphany of the Lord - 6 January

Gospel Matthew 2: 1–12 (abridged)

After Jesus had been born at Bethlehem in Judaea during the reign of King Herod, some wise men came to Jerusalem from the east. Herod summoned the wise men to see him privately. Having listened to what the king had to say, they set out. And there in front of them was the star they had seen rising; it went forward, and halted over the place where the child was. 

The sight of the star filled them with delight, and going into the house they saw the child with his mother Mary, and falling to their knees they did him homage. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh.

William Morris: The Adoration of the Magi


Gospel reflection from St Beuno's Outreach (adapted)


Settling down to pray today, I might want to revisit the blessings this season has brought me. Perhaps there have been challenging times too?

I thank the Lord for his presence beside me throughout.

When I am ready, I read the Gospel slowly, a couple of times.

If it helps, I may want to put myself in the place where the star halted, and watch and listen as the scene unfolds.

What do I notice as the wise men offer their gifts to the infant Jesus? Gold for the king; frankincense for the Son of God; and myrrh foretelling the sacrifice he will make for our salvation. 


As the wise men kneel before him, I make my own homage in whatever way I am drawn. I might like to use these words by Christina Rossetti: 

What can I give Him, poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;

If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;

Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.


In time, I gently bring my prayer to a close, asking the Lord’s blessings for the year ahead, and for an ever deeper awareness of his life in me.


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...