Sunday 9 January 2022

You are my Son, the Beloved

 The Baptism of the Lord - 9th January 2022, Year C

Gospel Luke 3: 15–16, 21–22

A feeling of expectancy had grown among the people, who were beginning to think that John might be the Christ, so John declared before them all, ‘I baptise you with water, but someone is coming, someone who is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to undo the strap of his sandals; he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire.’

 Now when all the people had been baptised and while Jesus after his own baptism was at prayer, heaven opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily shape, like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on you’. 



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I prepare for this time with the Lord, as I always do, by becoming still, aware of God’s presence in everything around me. I invite the Holy Spirit to help me settle into my prayer.

I read and re-read this short passage prayerfully, pausing at any word or phrase that draws my attention.

It may help to place myself in the scene, watching what is happening. Who are all those crowding on the banks of the river … ordinary people, families, shepherds, soldiers, Pharisees, tax collectors …?

I notice those jostling to get closer ... the tone of John’s voice as he speaks to them. I see the expressions on their faces. I watch John baptise all the people, Jesus among them.

Perhaps I find myself beside Jesus as he prays afterwards.

As the Holy Spirit descends, the Father speaks. What do these words mean to Jesus ...? to me ...?

I might be drawn to repeat them, inserting my own name: ‘You are my Child, [my name], the Beloved; my favour rests on you.’

I share what is in my heart with Jesus. Perhaps I ask him to help me pray for a greater understanding of what the Holy Spirit is offering me, and asking of me.

I sit in silence for a while, resting under God’s tender gaze, aware of and grateful for his unconditional love for me.

In time, I gently bring my prayer to an end. I may use the words of St Richard of Chichester, asking for the help of the Holy Spirit to see the Lord more clearly, love him more dearly, and follow him more nearly, day by day.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...