Sunday 19 September 2021

Last of all and servant of all

Twenty-Fifth Sunday of Ordinary Time Year B - 19th September 2021


 Gospel Mark 9: 30–37

After leaving that place they made their way through Galilee; and Jesus did not want anyone to know, because he was instructing his disciples; he was telling them, ‘The Son of Man will be delivered into the hands of men; they will put him to death; and three days after he has been put to death he will rise again’. But they did not understand what he said and were afraid to ask him.

They came to Capernaum, and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the road?’ They said nothing because they had been arguing which of them was the greatest. So he sat down, called the Twelve to him and said, ‘If anyone wants to be first, they must make themselves last of all and servant of all’. He then took a little child, set him in front of them, put his arms round him, and said to them, ‘Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me, but the one who sent me’.


www.LumoProject.com


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I come to stillness, I may wish to have a lit candle by me, symbolizing that Christ is present with me.

Whenever I feel ready, I slowly read the Gospel passage prayerfully, pausing wherever I feel moved.

If it helps, I may like to place myself in the scene, perhaps as a disciple or a bystander travelling on the road with Jesus, or maybe in the house.

I listen to Jesus’s words and notice the expressions and reactions of those around me.

I watch as Jesus holds the child, and notice the tone of his voice.

If I’m confused by anything he says, I know I can speak to him openly, just as I would to a trusted friend.

How might Jesus be inviting me to welcome the ‘little children’ in our world? Those without influence or status ... refugees, the homeless, the poor, the abused, the vulnerable, the sick, those who are neglected ...?

I ask him to show me. I listen to what he has to say.

Maybe there is a gift or grace I feel I need to help me? I can ask Jesus for this too.

With a deep sense of gratitude, I end my prayer with Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...