Sunday 18 April 2021

You are witnesses

 Third Sunday of Easter Year B - 18th April 2021


Gospel Luke 24: 35–48

The disciples told their story of what had happened on the road and how they had recognised Jesus at the breaking of the bread.

They were still talking about all this when Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you!’ In a state of alarm and fright, they thought they were seeing a ghost. But he said, ‘Why are you so agitated, and why are these doubts rising in your hearts? Look at my hands and feet; yes, it is I indeed. Touch me and see for yourselves; a ghost has no flesh and bones as you can see I have.’ And as he said this he showed them his hands and feet. Their joy was so great that they could not believe it, and they stood dumbfounded; so he said to them, ‘Have you anything here to eat?’ And they offered him a piece of grilled fish, which he took and ate before their eyes.

Then he told them, ‘This is what I meant when I said, while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses, in the Prophets and in the Psalms, has to be fulfilled.’ He then opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, ‘So you see how it was written that the Christ would suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that, in his name, repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be preached to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses to this.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I prepare to spend time in prayer, I take a moment to become aware of already being in the presence of my God – the God who loves me, and wishes me to spend time with him.

Maybe I light a candle, a sign of the risen Christ dispelling doubt and fear. I relax and breathe gently, aware of the breath of new life at Easter.

When I am ready, I read the text slowly, a couple of times.

I imagine the disciples gathered together, fearful, not daring to believe the reports that Jesus is risen.

Perhaps I am one of them? How do I feel?

When the Lord invites the disciples – and me – to touch him, how do I respond?

Am I silent? Am I fearful ... or full of joy? Do I speak to Jesus?

When Jesus starts explaining the scriptures, I listen. What touches me? I hear his call to me to be his witness. I ponder: How can I do this?

I speak to the Lord from my heart, maybe asking for the grace to respond. I bring my prayer to a close with a Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...