Saturday 24 April 2021

I am the good shepherd

 Fourth Sunday of Easter Year B - 25th April 2021 (Good Shepherd Sunday)


Gospel John 10: 11–18


Jesus said:

‘I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd is one who lays down his life for his sheep. The hired man, since he is not the shepherd and the sheep do not belong to him, abandons the sheep and runs away as soon as he sees a wolf coming, and then the wolf attacks and scatters the sheep; this is because he is only a hired man and has no concern for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep.

And there are other sheep I have that are not of this fold, and these I have to lead as well. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be only one flock, and one shepherd.

The Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me; I lay it down of my own free will, and as it is in my power to lay it down, so it is in my power to take it up again; and this is the command I have been given by my Father.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I prepare to pray slowly, with care, love and attention.

When I feel ready, I read the Gospel with the same loving care and attention.

Jesus purposefully uses rich imagery to teach and to reveal.

It may help my prayer today to imagine being held, contained, and protected by Jesus, the Good Shepherd. I rest for a while in this image.

The idea of the Good Shepherd that Jesus shares here is perhaps very familiar to me. I ask for the grace to listen to him now, with the curious ears of a child.

I ask Jesus my loving Shepherd to guide me in my prayer, and to reveal what he wants me to hear today.

I wait upon the Shepherd ... I listen to the Shepherd ...

I place all my needs and deepest desires before the Good Shepherd of my life.

Without any haste, I close my prayer, joining Jesus in praying ‘Our Father ...’


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...