Saturday 10 April 2021

‘My Lord and my God!’

 Second Sunday of Easter - Year B, 11 April 2021


Gospel John 20: 19–31 (abbreviated)

In the evening of that same day, the first day of the week, the doors were closed in the room where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews. Jesus came and stood amongst them. He said to them, ‘Peace be with you,’ and showed them his hands and his side. The disciples were filled with joy when they saw the Lord, and he said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father send me, so I am sending you.’

After saying this he breathed on them and said:

‘Receive the Holy Spirit. For whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven; for those whose sins you retain, they are retained.’

Thomas, called the Twin, who was one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. When the disciples said, ‘We have seen the Lord,’ he answered, ‘Unless I see the holes that the nails made in his hands, and unless I can put my hand into his side, I refuse to believe.’

Eight days later the disciples were in the house again and Thomas was with them. The doors were closed, but Jesus came in and stood among them. ‘Peace be with you,’ he said. Then he spoke to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; look, here are my hands. Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him: ‘You believe because you can see me.

Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.’

Anonymous, c. 1190-1200; Source: Wikimedia Commons, PD-Old-100.


Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle into my place of prayer, I take time to note any cares or distractions I bring to this time. Am I full of Easter joy, or drained with life’s demands and experiences?

I offer all of who I am to my loving Father, and ask the Spirit of truth to pray in me and through me.

I consciously slow down, in preparation for my prayer time with the risen Jesus. I become more aware of my life-giving breath; inviting Jesus to breathe upon me ... to fill me with the divine breath of the Holy Spirit.

When ready, I read this joyful, rich Gospel slowly, twice over.

If I am drawn, I allow God to use my imagination to help me enter the story... to experience it as if I am right there. I don’t need to worry about historically accurate details, or if the scene develops differently from the passage itself.

I trust God to lead me.

I try to be there in the Upper Room, either as myself, or as one of the disciples. Using my senses, I immerse myself in what’s happening... entering a conversation... listening to what they say to one other ... to Jesus ... to Thomas. Perhaps I come close to Jesus (or he to me).

Do I speak to him? ... does he speak to me?

Do I touch him ... does he touch my heart?

I let the events unfold in my imagination.

I may respond spontaneously in a conversation with the risen Lord.

In time, I rest in silence, and pray Thomas’s prayer: My Lord and my God.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...