Saturday 23 January 2021

Follow me

 Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (The Sunday of the Word of God) Year B - 24th January 2021


The Third Sunday in Ordinary Time marks the Sunday of the Word of God, instituted by Pope Francis in 2019 as an annual celebration of the gift of Scripture. It encourages us to grow in our knowledge and love of the Scriptures and of the risen Lord, shaping how we are called to live and to relate to each other.

In the same way, the readings for this Sunday call us to follow the Lord’s ways. This may involve some change of priorities and direction for us as we seek to move towards the Kingdom of God ourselves.



Gospel Mark 1: 14–20


After John had been arrested, Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the Good News from God. ‘The time has come’, he said, ‘and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the Good News.’

As he was walking along by the Sea of Galilee he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net in the lake – for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you into fishers of people’. And at once they left their nets and followed him.

Going on a little further, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John; they too were in their boat, mending their nets. He called them at once and, leaving their father Zebedee in the boat with the men he employed, they went after him.



Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I come to pray this Gospel, I take time to notice how I am feeling.

I slowly read and re-read the text. Jesus is beginning his public life and ministry, telling the people to believe in the Good News. It is Christ himself telling me about the kingdom of God.

I stay with any word, phrase or image that touches me. I allow myself to be drawn to what moves me.

Maybe I notice how quickly the disciples respond to Jesus’s call? I marvel at their trust.

If I find it helpful, I may like to place myself in the scene, perhaps as one of the main characters or as an onlooker.

I hear Jesus calling me – how does his voice sound?

How do I wish to respond? Can I place myself entirely into the Lord’s hands? Maybe I ponder if there is anything holding me back ... anxieties, fears, personal attachments or ambitions ...?

I can talk it through with Jesus, speaking deeply from my heart, just as I would with a dear friend.

I listen to what Jesus may have to say to me.

When I am ready, I express my thanks for this time spent with the Lord, and end with Our Father ...


Click here  to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...