Saturday 16 January 2021

‘Come and see’

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B) 17th January 2021


Gospel John 1: 35–42


As John stood with two of his disciples, Jesus passed, and John stared hard at him and said, ‘Look, there is the lamb of God.’ Hearing this, the two disciples followed Jesus. Jesus turned round, saw them following and said, ‘What do you want?’ They answered, ‘Rabbi,’ – which means Teacher – ‘where do you live?’ ‘Come and see’, he replied; so they went and saw where he lived, and stayed with him the rest of that day. It was about the tenth hour.

One of these two who became followers of Jesus after hearing what John had said was Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter. Early next morning, Andrew met his brother and said to him, ‘We have found the Messiah’ – which means the Christ – and he took Simon to Jesus. Jesus looked hard at him and said, ‘You are Simon son of John; you are to be called Cephas’ – meaning Rock.

"Come and see..."


Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I come to prayer, I slow down my inner and outer being in my own way. I become aware of the God who desires me and seeks my company right now ... conscious of his loving gaze on me in this moment.

I invite the Holy Spirit to deepen my attention on Jesus.

When I am ready, I read the text a few times, slowly, receptively.

It may help to imagine the scene ... joining John as he ‘looks hard’ at the Lord. What do I myself notice about Jesus ... and about my own reaction to the sight of him ...?

How do I feel as Jesus looks at me lovingly, asking ‘What do you want ...?’

I wonder what I desire most deeply from my friendship with Jesus ...? Perhaps Jesus, too, wants to share with me what he himself wants from our relationship? I linger in his loving attention ...

I read the text again. Perhaps I join the disciples in spending the rest of the day with Jesus ... savouring his hospitality, his presence, as we come to know one another better. I may speak to him about my calling, my discipleship ... asking how I can work with him to share his Good News ...

Like Andrew, do I (could I?) reveal my knowledge of the Lord to others, whether through my words, my actions, my relationships, my prayers ...?

I share whatever has arisen in my prayer with my Lord.

As I come to the end of this time, I sit quietly in Jesus’s presence, allowing his rich hospitality to flow through me.

I end with a prayer of praise to my God ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...