Saturday 9 January 2021

He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit

 The Baptism of the Lord (Year B) - 10th January 2021


Gospel Mark 1: 7–11

In the course of his preaching John the Baptist said, ‘After me is coming someone who is more powerful than me, and I am not fit to kneel down and undo the strap of his sandals. I have baptised you with water, but he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit.’

It was at this time that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptised in the Jordan by John. And at once, as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit, like a dove, descending on him. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on you.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I become still, using my preferred and practised method, as I open myself to really listen to the Gospel. I do not rush this.

At his baptism, Jesus takes his first prophetic action. He is the pilgrim from heaven who comes to accompany us on our pilgrimage to heaven. Though sinless, Jesus joins fully his sinful people – he is truly one of us.

Somebody once said, ‘I need a God with a skin, one I can touch and feel’ – though Isaiah, in the First Reading, tells us that God’s ways and thoughts are far above my own.

So how do I feel about this ‘pilgrim God’ who journeys to me to enter fully into my life?

I may have been bap sed as a child or as an adult. What does baptism – my baptism – mean for me?

Do I feel a partner of Jesus, as he is partner to me?

Do I invite him, daily, to fully enter my life with all the fullness of his life?

Jesus’s relationship with his family and townsfolk, and his solidarity with the world was a very real one. How do I myself respond to the demands of care and love, especially in these times?

In what ways do I feel called to be prophetic?

I spend some time with the Lord ... listening to him, letting my soul come alive. If I want, I could ask him about his word and will for me, that will not return empty-handed.

Perhaps I might like to end by really thanking him from the heart. Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...