Saturday 24 October 2020

Which is the greatest commandment?

 Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A - 25th October 2020


Gospel Matthew 22: 34–40

When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees they got together and, to disconcert him, one of them put a question, ‘Master, which is the greatest commandment of the Law?’ Jesus said, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second resembles it: you must love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang the whole Law, and the Prophets also.’

With all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind


Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


I settle into a quiet space, one where I will hopefully not be interrupted.

I entrust myself to the Lord. I ask the Holy Spirit to open my mind, body and soul to God, who is Divine Love. I sit in humble, receptive silence.

When ready, I read this familiar passage a number of times, slowly and with openness. I absorb the profound life-invitation and challenge contained in Jesus’s words. I savour the thoughts, feelings, and memories they evoke.

As I read the text again and then put it down, perhaps I can allow the Lord to speak to me afresh through my imagination.

I ask God to help me enter the story as if I am actually right there in the scene ... to hear Jesus speaking directly to me now, to experience him, to be in his presence as he teaches with authority and courage.

I let myself come close to Jesus. As I look at how he is engaging with others, do I speak to him myself? Does he speak to me?

Does he touch me? Do I touch him? I trust God to lead me ...

I ponder on these three aspects of love: love of God, love of neighbour, love of self. How does Jesus want to deepen his love in my life?

How can I take his love into the world even more?

How does my life of prayer and work serve this sacred love?

I speak to the Lord.

When words cease, I sit in silence in the presence of love.

Through the week ahead, I may like to form a ‘prayer-pattern’ of love.

I consciously breathe in God’s love for me ...  then as I exhale, I consciously breathe out my love of God and neighbour.

I end my prayer by asking the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit to bless me.


Click here to read or listen to a one-minute homily on this Sunday's readings!

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...