Monday 30 March 2020

Your Will Be Done!

Palm Sunday of the Passion of our Lord Year A

5th April 2020

Gospel Matthew 26: 14 – 27: 66 (part)

After psalms had been sung they left for the Mount of Olives. Then Jesus said to them, ‘You will all lose faith in me this night.’ At this, Peter said, ‘Though all lose faith in you, I will never lose faith.’ Jesus answered him, ‘I tell you solemnly, this very night before the cock crows, you will have disowned me three times.’ Peter said to him, ‘Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.’ And all the disciples said the same.

Then Jesus came with them to a small estate called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, ‘Stay here while I go over there to pray.’ He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee with him. And sadness came over him, and great distress. Then he said to them, ‘My soul is sorrowful to the point of death. Wait here and keep awake with me.’ And going on a little further he fell on his face and prayed: ‘My Father, if it is possible let this cup pass me by. Nevertheless, let it be as you, not I, would have it.’ He came back to the disciples and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter: ‘So you had not the strength to keep awake with me one hour? You should be awake, and praying not to be put to the test.’ Again a second time, he went away and prayed: ‘My Father, if this cup cannot pass by without my drinking it, your will be done!’ And he came back again and found them sleeping. Leaving them there, he went away again and prayed for the third time, repeating the same words. Then he came back to the disciples and said to them, ‘Now the hour has come when the Son of Man is to be betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up! Let us go! My betrayer is close at hand.’
T

Tiepolo: The Agony in the Garden (detail)


Reflection
After coming to some stillness in whatever way is best for me, I read this Gospel passage slowly, paying attention to my feelings and thoughts.

I take  time to be in the scene in whatever way I can:

I notice the place, the surroundings, the smells, sounds and people.

Perhaps I imagine myself in the disciples’ place, or talk with one of them, or just remain alongside them as the story unfolds.

What do I notice about Jesus? I talk with my Lord about all that is in my mind and heart. Then perhaps I simply become still, just being with him, knowing he also suffered isolation and loneliness, and needed his friends.
I may wish to end by praying Our Father or the Anima Christi: this is a modern paraphrase of the prayer by David Fleming SJ:

Lord Jesus, may all that is you flow into me.
May your body and blood be my food and drink.
May your Passion and death be my strength and life.

Jesus, with you by my side, enough has been given.
May the shelter I seek be
the shadow of your cross.
Let me not run from the love which you offer,
But hold me safe
from the forces of evil.

On each of my dyings
shed your light and your love. 
Keep calling to me until that day comes, when, with your  saints,
I may praise you forever. Amen.

Read PREGO PLUS for more about Sunday's readings here.

Click here for PRAYING HOLY WEEK 2020 WITH OUR FIVE SENSES, also from St Beuno's Outreach.


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...