Saturday 1 October 2022

We are merely servants

 Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 2nd October 2022


Gospel Luke 17: 5–10

The apostles said to the Lord, ‘Increase our faith.’ The Lord replied, ‘Were your faith the size of a mustard seed you could say to this mulberry tree, “Be uprooted and planted in the sea”, and it would obey you.

‘Which of you, with a servant ploughing or minding sheep, would say to him when he returned from the fields, “Come and have your meal immediately?” Would they not be more likely to say, “Get my supper laid; make yourself tidy and wait on me while I eat and drink. You can eat and drink yourself afterwards”? Must he be grateful to the servant for doing what he was told? So with you: when you have done all you have been told to do, say, “We are merely servants: we have done no more than our duty”.’

“Be uprooted and planted in the sea”


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach

As I prepare for prayer, I place any concerns and desires into the Lord’s safe hands, so that I can focus all my attention on this time with him.

I may like to notice the gentle rhythm of my breathing.

In  me, I prayerfully read and re-read the Gospel passage slowly and carefully, letting the words soak in.

I notice where am I drawn. What words touch me? What images stay with me? Am I struggling with anything?

I ponder why this is.

Asking the Holy Spirit to guide me, I reflect on the gift of faith the Lord has given me. Perhaps there have been times when I have struggled to believe?

I give thanks for the example and support of those who have helped my faith to grow.

Maybe I notice Jesus’s final words to the apostles,

‘Say: “We are merely servants: we have done no more than our duty”.’ With gratitude, I ponder all the Lord has given me and done for me. Can I give and share of myself with joy, feeling good about ‘doing my duty’, rather than seeking approval or expecting special attention?

I speak to the Lord as a loving, caring friend about what arises.

Giving thanks, I ask God to deepen my faith and trust, and to help me grow in awareness of the trust placed in me.

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...