Sunday 23 October 2022

God be merciful to me, a sinner

 Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 23rd October 2022


Gospel Luke 18: 9–14

Jesus spoke the following parable to some people who prided themselves on being virtuous and despised everyone else. ‘Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood there and said this prayer to himself, “I thank you, God, that I am not grasping, unjust, adulterous like the rest of mankind, and particularly that I am not like this tax collector here. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes on all I get.” The tax collector stood some distance away, not daring even to raise his eyes to heaven; but he beat his breast and said, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner.” This man, I tell you, went home again at rights with God; the other did not. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the man who humbles himself will be exalted.’



Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I prepare to pray, I place myself in God’s loving care by relaxing my body and mind. I gently breathe in his love and goodness.

When I’m ready, I read the text slowly, a couple of times.

Aware that I, too, can at times embody the attitudes of both men in the parable, I may choose to consider the characters separately.

As I look at the Pharisee, I can ask myself on whether I focus on God, or on myself when I pray. In what way do I do this?

I ponder, too, on how I view others, and how they are part of my prayer.

Without judgement, I ask the Lord to help me look honestly at my attitude. I may wish to remain silent so that he can open my eyes.

I then consider the tax collector. Although a sinner, he confidently comes into God’s presence. Maybe I can spend time offering God my brokenness and relying on his mercy.

I speak to the Lord, allowing him to see my whole truth.

I may wish to give thanks for the witness of many humble people who may or may not be recognised in this world.

I remember those burdened by guilt, and place them in the hands of Jesus, friend of sinners. Perhaps I also wish to pray that I may not add to division between people.

I humbly end my prayer: ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner.’


No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...