Sunday 7 August 2022

Where your treasure is, there will be your heart be also

 Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C - 7th August 2022


Gospel Luke 12: 32–48 (part)

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘There is no need to be afraid, little flock, for it has pleased your Father to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will be your heart be also.

See that you are dressed for action and have your lamps lit. Be like those waiting for their master to return from the wedding feast, ready to open the door as soon as he comes and knocks. Happy those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes. I tell you solemnly, he will put on an apron, sit them down at table and wait on them. It may be in the second watch he comes, or in the third, but happy those servants if he finds them ready. You may be quite sure of this, that if the householder had known at what hour the burglar would come, he would not have let anyone break through the wall of his house. You too must stand ready, because the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.'

Where your treasure is, there will be your heart be...


Gospel Reflection from St Beuno's Outreach


As I settle into my place of prayer, I ask God to bless me ... to give me the grace to slow down and be attentive to him. I pray not to be distracted by my own fears and attachments, but to give all my attention to my Lord.

I read these teachings a couple of times. Perhaps I choose to sit with the disciples, listening to Jesus. Which phrases draw my attention ... my heart ... my imagination ...? I trust that the Lord will help me take from the scripture what he wants me to see.

Perhaps I am drawn today to Jesus’s gentle encouragement and his deep confidence in the Father’s gift of the kingdom?

Or maybe I consider his profound ‘life-questions’:

What is my ‘treasure’? What are the priorities of my own heart?

How ‘awake’ am I to the living presence of Christ?

I ponder on my life and its many gifts, speaking to Jesus about what has arisen in my prayer time. Without trying too hard, I sit with my Lord, trusting in the shared silence of our time together.

I give thanks for God’s endless generosity and mercy in my life, asking forgiveness for the times he finds me, his servant, asleep. Glory be ...


Click here to read or listen to a One-Minute Homily on today's Gospel from the Jesuit Post

No comments:

This is what he taught them

 Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A - 29th January 2023 Gospel Matthew 5: 1–12 Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat d...